I can’t believe that I missed National Grammar Day which was on March 4th. I have been busy but Geez. I managed to celebrate National No Housekeeping Day (which I celebrate often ) but somehow I missed this. Oh well. Let’s have a belated celebration and in honor of it how about one of my favorite School House Rock videos, Conjunction Junction. Enjoy!
Archive for the 'Holiday Fun' Category
Tags: Conjunction Junction, National Grammar Day
Tags: Easter basket, jelly watch, Keeks and Brie
Check out this beautiful jelly watch from Keeks and Brie that was in The Little Write Gal’s Easter basket today. She loved it! I am telling you it is so pretty that I wish I had one. Every year I have so much fun deciding what to put in her basket. One of the things she also gets each year is a bathing suit. And of course let’s not forget the Easter candy. We are not a fan of Peeps at our house but The Little Write Gal and I really love some Starburst jelly beans. So of course those had to be in there.
I hope everyone has a Happy Easter. Please be sure and leave me a comment and let me know what was in your Easter basket.
I would like to wish all of the Write Gal’s readers a very Merry Christmas! As we spend time with family and friends this year, let us remember the real meaning of Christmas, the celebration of the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.
~ For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6, NIV ~
Tags: Oprah sweepstakes, Oprah's Favorite Things, The Oprah Winfrey Show
Every year I cannot WAIT until the Christmas episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show showcasing Oprah’s Favorite Things. I love to watch the reaction of the audience and how they are totally thrown off guard that they are attending probably the most infamous episode of Oprah for the year. There is speculation on the Web that Oprah’s Favorite Things is canceled for 2009. Since Oprah is going off the air in September 2011, I was really looking forward to this year’s show. I have a major sad face that I won’t have it this Christmas. Hopefully the producers will bring it back next year. I certainly hope so.
In the meantime I will have to settle to win some of Oprah’s Favorite Things. Currently on Oprah.com there is a 12 Days of Christmas Sweepstakes where you can win everything on the O List for the December 2009 issue of O Magazine. Also there is another contest where you can win some of Oprah’s Favorite Things from years past. I have entered both and my fingers are crossed!
Will you miss Oprah’s Favorite Things?
Tags: Couture Invito, Couture Invito coupon code, custom photo notepads, holiday photo cards
Last year we ordered our holiday cards from Couture Invito and we plan on doing so again this year. They are beautiful and we received so many compliments on them! Couture Invito has many holiday photo card designs to choose from and you can even select your own color, font, and message. They have given The Write Gal readers a coupon code to save 15% on their entire site! Just enter writegal2009 at checkout to save; the discount is good until December 31, 2009. If you order, tell Alesa that The Write Gal sent you. Take a look at some of these gorgeous card designs:
In addition to holiday photo cards, they also carry stationery, photo notepads, and personalized gifts. I did a review last year on the notepads and if you missed it you can read it here. These make great gifts for Christmas!
I have to get my tree up this weekend so we can take a picture for our cards. The Little Write Gal is ready and has even picked out her outfit as well as the dog’s!
Tags: Halloween cake ideas, kitty litter cake
Would you eat this cake even if it looks like kitty litter but you “knew” it tasted good? I think it is just gross and I couldn’t eat it regardless of how great it tastes! This recipe is part of a collection in Betty Crocker’s Gross Out Cakes: The Kitty Litter Cake and Other Classics.
Here is the recipe for those of you brave enough to try it.
1 pkg. (18 oz.) German chocolate or devil’s good cake mix
1 pkg. (18 oz.) caramel cake mix
1 pkg. (6 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
1 pkg. (16 oz.) vanilla sandwich cookies
1 pkg. small-sized Tootsie rolls (as needed)
Green food coloring, as needed
1 new medium sized litter box
1 new litter box scooper
1. Wash clean, new litter box and pooper scooper with soap and water and set aside to dry.
2. Prepare both cake mixes per directions on box, in separate pans. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Prepare pudding and refrigerate until needed.
4. In a food processor, crumble vanilla sandwich cookies, filling and all. You’ll need to scrape the container often to keep them from sticking.
5. Remove 1/4 cup of your cookie crumbles and place them in a small bowl. To the 1/4 C. of cookies, add a few drops of green food coloring at a time, mixing with a fork. Set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, coarsely crumble the cooled, prepared cakes. Add about half of the uncolored cookie crumbs. Stir to mix.
7. Gently add pudding in several batches, until a moist mixture results. You will probably not use all of the pudding; you just need a moist mix, not a soggy one.
8. Scoop cake mixture out into a clean, dry litter box.
9. Create 7-8 tootsie roll “poops” and place them (burying some slightly) in the cake mixture. To make Tootsie Roll poops, cook several Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until nicely softened. Shape into small poops, curving slightly and pulling out blunt edges.
10. Cover “poops” and cake in almost all remaining uncolored cookie crumbs (save a tiny portion for the very end). Sprinkle green cookie crumbs on top.
11. Make several more, softer Tootsie Roll “cat poops” by microwaving Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape off onto cake. Placing one softened Tootsie Roll on the side of the box like a poorly aimed cat poop.
12. Sprinkle exposed “poops” lightly with a small amount of cookie crumbs.
13. Serve this Halloween cake recipe with the pooper scooper.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all my bloggy friends! I love you guys.
If you haven’t seen this video yet of the year 2008 recorded in only 40 seconds, you MUST watch it. It is so beautiful. The pictures were taken by Eirik Solheim and you can read how it was made here. Enjoy!
Tags: hypothyroidism, O Magazine, Oprah, weight loss
Recently Oprah made headlines again about her weight when she announced that it was back up to 200 pounds. The January 2009 issue of O Magazine on the stands now includes an in-depth article from Oprah explaining her recent medical problems and a diagnosis of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is when you have an under-active thyroid which can cause weight gain, dry skin, and make you feel sluggish. IF you are trying to lose weight and you are having problems, consider having your thyroid level checked. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago and let me tell you since then it has been harder than ever to lose a pound. I am now on medication for it but I feel like my metabolism has never been the same since then. At least now I know the reason. You can read more information about thyroid problems and weight gain here.
P.S. to Ash — I know you dislike Oprah but you have to admit she does have some informative articles in her magazine.
If you are trying to lose weight in 2009 (like me) then good luck!
I can’t believe that 2009 is here already. I hope I everyone has a great New Year! I have really enjoyed blogging this year and am thankful for all of the new friends I have made. I am also thankful that God has blessed me with wonderful friends and family and for my adorable Little Write Gal. I am a posting a few new pictures of her which were taken recently. Enjoy!